Sunday, April 26, 2009

While I was in Schuler's

I was in Schuler's Books Store yesterday and I was standing in the magazine section and behind me I overheard this little girl (probably around 6 or 7) ask her dad to take her to the book section because she wanted to look at books. Her dad responds to her "Why do you want to look at books? Books are stupid and I know you won't read them."
I was absolutely appalled and it took everything I had to contain myself and not lash out at him. I still cannot believe that any parent would deter their child away from reading a book! I just cannot believe it. This little girl is at the most impressionable time in her life and by her dad having such a negative attitude about books is horrifying because it is going to shape her view of reading and literature for the rest of her life.
Wow...

No comments:

Post a Comment