Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My sister read "Project Mulberry"!

I asked my 14 year old sister Lexey to read "Project Mulberry" for me because our class was discussing if the conversations between the author and main character between each chapter was distracting for a younger reader. I wondered if it would take away from the greater message in the text or if a younger reader would really enjoy the conversations. So my sister read it for me and I asked her a few questions about the style and if she did or did not like the conversations. Lexey said that "It was weird how she wrote it. It took me a minute to realize that she was talking to the main character. The author said that you didn't have to read them, but I did and I really like it." She said "I have never read a book before where the main character gets to help the author write the book and I thought that was pretty cool."
So overall, my sister enjoyed the book as a whole and didn't seem too phased by having those conversations in between each chapter.
Thanks Lex! You proved me wrong!

2 comments:

  1. That's interesting. It's fun to hear a different perspective. Like her, I had never read a book like it either. I didn't really enjoy the conversations, but maybe that was just because it was new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is awesome you had your sister analyze on of our texts!!!! We are always considering the young reader within our classroom, how they will read a book and if they will get it or understand it. This is really neat that you did this!

    ReplyDelete